7.29.2008

Historical Reliability of The New Testament

        So I was thinking about the name of my blog and it struck me that anything that we know about Jesus comes from the New and Old Testament. But how do we know that it is historically reliable? Well I thought that I'd share a couple thoughts on the historically reliability of the New Testament, and maybe focus on the Old some other time.
       Well in my first blog I said that I believe that the New (and Old) Testament is one of the most historically accurate pieces of antiquity that we have today. I'm no scholar but I've looked into it deep enough to be convinced that this is the case, and if you are to deny this fact then you either haven't looked into it enough or your not being honest. For instance the New Testament has far better support for it than any of Plato or Aristotle's writings, which no one seriously questions. The oldest copies of  these writers are dated between 900 and 1300 years ago, which we only have 7 copies of Plato's Tetrologies. We have over 24,000 copies of ancient manuscripts of the New Testament. This blows any other article of antiquity out of the water. So if you can be honest with yourself you should read this article that I found on the historical reliability of the New Testament. It's a bit lengthy but in it the author supplies a lot of references for his findings.
       So if we can say that the New Testament is historically reliable then don't you think that maybe we should see what it has to say (specifically as it relates to the person and work of Jesus)? I hope that we will and that we will take it seriously. 

No comments: